CMSIS-Pack describes a delivery mechanism for software components, device parameters, and evaluation board support. The XML-based package description (PDSC) file describes the content of a Software Pack (file collection) that includes:
- Source code, header files, and software libraries
- Documentation and source code templates
- Device parameters along with startup code and programming algorithms
- Example projects
The complete file collection along with the PDSC file is shipped in ZIP-format as a Software Pack. The PDSC file is designed for software development environments and describes the user and device relevant context for the files supplied within such a Software Pack. A Software Pack can be used for multiple purposes (see below).
After installing a Software Pack, all included software components are available to the development tools. Software components are a collection of source modules, header and configuration files as well as libraries. Packs containing software components can also include Example Projects and User Code Templates.
The Revision History of CMSIS-Pack lists the main changes between versions.
The figure above shows the following use cases for Software Packs:
- Device Family Pack (DFP): contains CMSIS system/startup files, drivers, and flash algorithms for a microcontroller device family.
- CMSIS Software Pack: contains the generic CMSIS components (CORE, DSP Library, and RTOS implementation) supplied by Arm.
- Middleware Pack: contains software components belonging to a middleware (such as source code or libraries).
- Board Support Pack (BSP): contains documentation, schematics, and drivers for a certain development board.
- In-house Software Packs: usually contain software components that can be distributed within a company or engineering group.
- A Software Pack can address multiple use cases at the same time!
The following sections give you more details on the basics:
- Software Packs Overview explains the steps required for creating a Software Pack in general.
- Pack with Software Components gives detailed information on the contents of the PDSC file.
- Pack with Device Support describes additional requirements of Device Family Packs (DFPs).
- Pack with Board Support covers the creation of Board Support Packs (BSPs).
- Pack Example explains the Software Pack example that is part of the CMSIS Pack in more detail.
- Publish a Pack shows the options for publishing a Pack.
- Utilities for Creating Packs caters to programs that are useful during the creation of a Pack.
- Pack Description (*.PDSC) Format describes all XML elements that can be used in a PDSC file.
- Configuration Wizard Annotations can be used to create GUI-like elements in development tools for configuration files.
- Flash Programming are used to erase or download applications to Flash devices.
- Debug Setup with CMSIS-Pack allow to create tool-agnostic debug and trace configurations
- Project Description (*.CPDSC) Format is a environment/tool independent definition of a software project. This helps to create only one set of example projects that can be used by many different tool vendors.
- CMSIS-Pack Index Files
CMSIS-Pack in ARM::CMSIS Pack
Files relevant to CMSIS-Pack are present in the following ARM::CMSIS directories:
|Utilities||Utilities for Creating Packs|
|Pack\Example||Reference Software Pack|
|Pack\Tutorials||Tutorials for Creating Packs|